Saturday, June 7, 2008

The COCONUT NUT..


Fruitilicious..Buko, anyone?
Bounty harvest

My father had this habit of bringing home something to plant on the vacant space in our compound..from rootcrops to vines, seedlings of fruits/vegetables even herbal plants. Believe me, name it we have it!! We have banana, mangoes, avocado, atis, guyabano [labana], guava, papaya, sugarcanes..add to that euphorbia flowers and some orchids..


We used to have a jackfruit tree..Unfortunately, it died. Well, at least we don't need to include on our things-to-buy list at the wet market fruits and vegetables available in our backyard..namimitas na lang kami..We get to save something pa!


Not only that, it gives our place a good shelter to scorching heat and fresh air to breathe..probinsiyang-probinsya talaga..

Now, one of his planted investment has grown and before long, this primary plant was bursting with fruits..

I am talking about our COCONUT TREE.
It never entered my mind it could help us generate some money out of its fruits and land as delightful merienda on our table, either "bukayo" [sweetened buko meat], "lamaw" [a combination of young buko meat, buko water, condensed milk and crackers, to some they use to add royal tru orange].


Of course, we share this food to neighbors and served to friends who visits us at home. Buko meat can also be use as meat extender to laing, by the way.

One morning, when I woke up my sister told me I could enjoy drinking the buko waters again in those pitchers & bottles, pointing out as i open the refrigerator. We were just lucky We knew someone who could climb high up and harvest the fruits.

Hmm..ahhh!! buko water..naturally sweet and truly refreshing. My favorite thirst-quencher.


I went outside gratefully smiling at the tree, for giving us again a tummy-filling dessert. Sounds weird? [chuckles] That's how I value things around me..

A lot of byproducts can be produced even by a single coconut tree. Lumber, broomsticks, nipa [woven leaf branches], floor scrub, virgin coconut oil (VCO), gata or coconut milk, vodka aka lambanog, vinegar, charcoal & costume [out of its coconut shell] which occasionally use during festivals, etc.

I've read somewhere that a coconut oil gives a dramatic suntan. How is that for an inexpensive, natural alternative?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice lamaw! i tried that few times back in 2002 in davao.. really tasty mate!