Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Adventure in the City

It was my first time to go wall climbing --- so when my students told me about this recreational activity, I count myself in! I'm the one kasi who would never back out on a spur-of-the-moment adventure.
Never got to join them in the morning 'cause our Administrator called in for a meeting. But when I learned there's another batch to climb this afternoon, my adventure is finally pushing through.
Ophelei showed me their photos during our lunch with Ma'am G, Gene, Neña and Chem at Jollibee drive through. Told Chem we really need to try that whatever it takes. When we got to the place, I stared at the wall. "I see", I muttered to myself.

D.A.M. initials at lower right corner of the wall stands for Digos Active Mountaineers.

The Pros and the Amateurs
The KAGRUPO mountaineers assisted us on wearing the harness and other equipments. We were ready and very excited. They double checked our gears. Ok, good to go. I've seen this on TV and now I am the one crawling with a free audience by the street. Sir Cholo Dela Peña [in red shirt, who owns the outdoor wall] made a brief orientation and reminders. So there, we began crawling like spidey...
The beginning [1st phase] Near halfway

I guess they pres
umed we knew how to as well. It seemed practical -- step on the stone, make a strong grip, go up and reach the peak of the 24ft outdoor wall..as simple as that. At first, I was moving faster but my friend is much faster than me. I guess the weight would explain it. [chuckles].
Halfway already [2nd phase]..the wall bearing the name of the very accommodating KAGRUPO

Yes, we did it!!

Believe me, it's not as easy as it looks, but entails a courage and perseverance as you go upward. Don't forget to have fun, as well. While I was middle of the wall on the 1st phase, my muscles were already trembling but I never gave up. I have to continue. I became more tense when one of the stone I hold on to was moving. Yikes! I never freaked out, but I felt nervous. It will only make me a Loser for quitting. I proceeded even though Chem has completed her task. I proceeded, I survive, I did it!!

To Sir Cholo, Vince, Ayex, Felix, and Jan-jan...THANK YOU!!

You too can also experience the
excitement, fun-filled and thrilling adventure. If you're a resident of Digos City, drop by their office at Rizal Avenue infront of Digos City National High School. The outdoor wall is located along Rizal Avenue going Flying A, a block away from Petron Gas Station. Check our for yourself!!

No comments: